Town Council

 

CALLERY BOROUGH - meets first Monday of each month at 7:00 p.m. @ Municipal Bldg., 199 Railroad Street, Callery 16024

  Email:  calleryboro@zoominternet.net

Website: www.calleryborough.com

 

BOROUGH SECRETARY

Tammy Baumgarten, 199 Railroad Street, P.O. Box G, Callery, PA 16024

 

BUILDING PERMIT/ZONING OFFICER

Sean Gramz P.O. Box 64, 1685 Perry Hwy., Portersville, PA 16051

 

COUNCIL MEMBERS

Ed Aschley, Mayor, P.O. Box 79, Callery, PA 16024

Rose Wirtz, V.P. P.O. Box 49, Callery, PA 16024

Ed Conway, President, P.O. Box 210, Callery, PA 16024

Al Wirtz PO Box 49, Callery, PA 16024

Robert Dugan P.O. Box 149, Callery, PA 16024

Judy Conway P.O. Box 210, Callery, PA 16024

Dwayne Cerra P.O. Box 45, Callery, PA 16024

 

SOLICITOR

Thomas Smith P.O. Box 6, Zelienople, PA 16063 612-4231

Callery (Callery Junction) – History 

Main Street Callery 1909

Callery, formerly known as Templeton Station, is located in the northwestern corner of Adams Township, Pennsylvania. It was established in 1880, with the post office opening in 1884 with Alexander M. Beers serving as the first Post Master. The community was incorporated into a borough in 1905. 

The town got named in honor of James Callery  who traveled to the area from Pittsburgh to Butler in 1879 to begin organizing the Pittsburg & Western Railroad Co.  James Callery became the President and man behind this new railroad company.

Located along the P&W Subdivision, the borough was originally a small whistle stop on the Pittsburgh and Western Railroad.  There was the Meeder House which was opened for travelers to the busy oil fields across the area.  Hotels by W.H. White, H. Maters and Van Boise were built as were stores by James Little and W. Shannon. 

Murray’s restaurant offered good food each day.  By now the village had a railroad depot and a large freight house to handle the goods received.   

On October 29, 1892, disaster stuck the village/small town.  A fire raced out of control, destroying six dwellings, the three hotels, Murray’s restaurant, and the stores of James Little/W. Shannon, and the railroad depot and freight house.  People in the small community banded together to rebuild their community.

By the fall of 1893 several new buildings were in place.  The railroad depot, the main street of the town, was to rise out of the debris.

A local school which was two rooms got built across the road from the church on Kline Avenue.  It was believed to be completed in 1896.  The first teacher recorded is Miss Mabel Confer in 1900.  The school was composed of four grades on the ground floor and four on the second floor.  This school with its pot-bellied stove in the center of each floor was fired up on cold winter mornings until it turned red.  A school provided an education for many pupils who have left their mark on the world.  The school was closed in 1953 and the children were bused to a modern facility in nearby Evans City.

However, by the turn of the 20th century, Callery became a prosperous railroad community with the completion of the Northern Subdivision, The Northern Sub connected with the P&W Sub in Callery, creating a new railroad junction. The Northern Sub ran from the junction to the village of Ribold outside of Butler, PA. This new connection turned Callery into a major hub for the B&O, and for the next three decades it would be called Callery Junction.

On October 29th 1929, the stock market crashed to begin the Great Depression with the impact being felt far and wide.  Many men came through the town having hitched rides on freight trains in search of work to feed their families.  As the trains slowed or stopped to be switched at the Junction, the hungry men would quickly hop from the cars and ask for handouts of food from the villagers/towns people sometimes in exchange for work.  They were called “bums.”  Most of these men were honest and looking for both food and work.  It created at times some nervous town’s people but many a loaf of bread was shared with the transients.  The economy slowly improved as the next ten years rolled by.  Changes were taking place all over the world; the threat of war on the horizon was felt on December 7, 1941 when Pearl Harbor was attacked at 7:55 a.m.  Many men left home to serve their country.  Troop trains rolled through Callery, and people waved to them and whispered a prayer for their safe return.  An Honor Roll was erected in the center of town that is still in front of the Fire Department for those who served during WW II. 

In the 1930s a slow demise of the use of the railroad began, a new connection was completed at Eidenau which eliminated the sharp curves and grades to Ribold on the railroad.  The railroad depot was torn down in the early 50’s and some of the tracks were removed.    

Soon after, traffic on the old connection ceased, and Callery Junction was no more. Trains from the Buffalo and Pittsburgh Railroad still pass the small borough today, but the junction has been gone for almost eighty years.