Crestview Community Church

 

Worship is at 11:00 A.M.

Crestview Community Church PCUSA

(724) 538-8559 / Email:  crestviewpcusa@embarqmail.com

210 Kline Avenue, P. O. Box AA, Callery, PA 16024

Office Hours: Monday through Friday from 9 a.m. til noon


Staff & Volunteer Leaders

Pastor: Rev. Robert Goossen.

Church Administrator: Melanie Hoerner

Clerk of Session: Tina Hartung & Elder

Treasurer: Bonnie Hoerner

Financial Secretary: Melanie Hoerner

Pianist: Jeannie Allen & Patty Marburger

Choir Director: Jeannie Allen

Custodians: Sharon Schwartz & Gary Schwartz

 

Elders

Session usually has monthly meetings on the third Tuesday of each month at 7 p.m.

 

Mission Committee

Denny Hasenflu

Interpretation and Stewardship Committee

Carol Baker & ChrisAnn Goossen

Worship and the Arts Committee

Claudia Ripper and Kelly Rader

Dave Jesperson

All Session Members & Committees

Spiritual Formation Committee

Property Committee

Church Growth/Evangelism

 Deacons

Deacons usually meet the 2nd Monday of each month at 6:30 p.m.

Bill DeHart, Bonnie Wolfe, Barb O’Barto, Bonnie Hoerner, Karen Mueller, Darla McKeever, Mark Norton, and Kim Fyock

History

Formerly known as Crestview Presbyterian Church it began serving the community on July 21, 1890.  The Rev. R. C. Yates, pastor of the Zelienople Presbyterian Church, was turned down in becoming pastor of Plains Presbyterian Church in Cranberry Twp.  Disappointed in not being called to Plains to serve as pastor he was instrumental in helping found a church in Callery Junction.

Eight days later a committee from Callery met with members of the Butler Presbytery to present a motion for organizing of a Presbyterian church in Callery.  The presbytery accepted the motion on August 21 and met at 1:00 p.m. that afternoon with Rev. E. Ogden, Rev. W. E. Oiler, Rev. L. R. Keith and elders James D. Anderson and James E. Graham. On that day the Crestview Presbyterian Church was organized named by Mrs. William McKinney.  

The land for the church was donated by Samuel Staples and construction began in November 1890 under the guidance of John Rashier, John Vandivort, William Mincer, and Joe Davis.  Total cost, including painting, was $2,815.  The church was dedicated on June 14, 1891.

Rev. Yates continued to serve the Zelienople (now Calvin Presbyterian Church) and Crestview Presbyterian Church until his death at age 48 on August 3, 1896, after he developed blood-poison from a wound received while operating a mowing machine.

The bell that is heard each Sunday was cast by the Chaplin Fulton Manufacturing Co. of Pittsburgh and rang for the first time in 1898.  The 1,650-pound bell cost $314 and was shipped by rail from Pittsburgh to Callery Junction at a charge of $1.95.  It was hauled up the hill by horse-drawn wagon and pulled, through the block tackle, to the church steeple. 

In 1914 the Crestview and Plains churches began sharing their minister with the Evans City Presbyterian Church (now Westminster Presbyterian).

Throughout the 1920’s and 30’s the churches rotated afternoon and evening worship hours and sometimes met to worship only every other week.

Crestview’s financial position was strongly supported by special fund-raising projects to pay bills during the Depression.

By 1939, Evans City was able to support its own minister so Crestview and Plains stayed together under the guidance of the Rev. Henry Meyers.

The two churches worked cooperatively until the fall of 1970 when Plains Church hired its own minister and Crestview called a student minister from Pittsburgh Theological Seminary, the Rev. Jack Dawson.

In June 1973 a cooperative ministry was formed with Old Union Presbyterian Church near Mars.  Student Pastor at Crestview Bill Tarbell served in cooperative ministry with Rev. Dale O’Connell from Old Union Church. This lasted two years, until October 1975 when the Rev. Henry Millison arrived to serve as interim pastor. 

The Rev. Rosalyn Kummer came to Crestview in October 1976.  She was installed as pastor in September 1982 and served until retirement in the late 90’s.

The conference room and church office addition were completed in 1987.  At Crestview’s 100thAnniversary in late August 1990 the mortgage for the addition was burned.  Prior to this new addition a hat shop that was moved from Railroad Street to the church property served as the pastor’s office just outside the side entrance of the downstairs side door.  It also served as a place where Sunday School classes and youth groups met regularly.

The current steeple still holds the original bell.  The new steeple was funded by Mrs. Helen Snow after the tall spiral that was built originally got struck by lightening.  A church carillon system provides support to the ringing of the bell on Sunday mornings with chimes on the hour, quarter hour, and half hour throughout the week with favorite hymns played at noon each day.  The carillon system was donated by Mrs. Helen “Harry” Cartwright.

Crestview changed its name just prior to the year 2000 to start the new millennium prior to calling a new full-time pastor from Erie, PA, the Rev. Ellen Campbell.  Rev. Campbell served Crestview for 8 years and is married to the Rev. Ernest Gardner in Virginia.

The congregation during this time turned from just locally supported mission to reaching out across the Atlantic Ocean to Africa.  Elder Chuck E. Cahall went to Africa assisting with a water project in the village of Domasi in the country of Malawi, in the warm heart of Africa.  From Chuck’s visit a relationship has developed as Crestview and the Chiphola congregation have become sister churches.  Crestview has sent one team on an exchange to Africa and recently in September of 2010 Chiphola Presbyterian Church sent two brothers in Christ to visit our church and community. 

Crestview also sent mission work teams to Gulfport, MS, for three years after Hurricane Katrina to help rebuild homes while staying at Westminster Presbyterian Church there.

The Rev. Tom Clyde and his wife Betty came to Crestview on July 1, 2009 and served in interim ministry until October 23, 2011.

The Rev. Robert Goossen started ministry at Crestview on October 24, 2011 after serving at Bethel Presbyterian Church near Homer City for 17 years.  Bob and ChrisAnn were welcomed in worship on Sunday, October 30th - Reformation Sunday. 

Directions to Crestview Community Church, PCUSA

From Zelienople - Take W. Grand Avenue which turns into Rt. # 68-go towards Evans City.

Proceed for approx. 5 miles until you come to Evans City. At the first traffic light be in the right lane and turn right onto The Evans City/Mars Rd. Proceed on that road for approx 2 ¾ miles (you’ll pass Marburger dairy, BASF. and Fox’s Pizza.)  At Kline Avenue, turn right and drive over the railroad tracks to the 2nd street on the left- Main Street. Make a left and go to the first stop sign. Turn right onto Church St. and proceed to the church parking lot.

From Butler -  Take Rt. # 68 towards Evans City.  When you get to Evans City, make a left at the first traffic light.  At the second stop sign make a left.  Follow this road (Mars/Evans City Road) for approximately 3 miles.  Look for a Fox’s Pizza on the right side.  Take the next right onto Kline Avenue.  Cross the railroad tracks and make a left on the second street- Main Street.  At the first stop sign, make a right turn onto Church St. continue up the street and into the parking lot.

I-79 North -  Take the PA-228 exit toward Mars, exit #78, continue on PA-228 East, approximately 2 ½ miles, then turn left on Myoma Road, approximately 2 more miles, turn left on Callery Road, approximately 1 ½ more miles turn right on Kline Avenue. The church will be about ¾ mile on the right.  Go past the church and take the first street to the right- Main Street.  Go to the first stop sign and turn right onto Church Street.  From there proceed to the church parking lot.

Rt. 8-  Take Rt. 228 West towards Mars. Turn right at the light- there will be a 7/11 station. Follow to the blinking light and make a right onto the Mars/Evans City Rd- next to MacDonald-Aberli Funeral Home. Follow the Mars –Evans City Rd for approx. 2 1/2 miles and turn left at Kline Ave.- a Fox’s Pizza shop is just past Kline on the right. Go across the railroad tracks and turn left at the second street-Main Street. Proceed one block and make a right turn onto Church St. Follow Church St. to the church parking lot.